Saturday, January 23, 2010

Make My Day

I'm in the midst of a small battle. At this point, it's more of a confrontation, but it could escalate to something more serious, so I'm not taking it lightly. Better to be prepared, is the theory that I'm adopting. I can't see my foe, which makes every move I make important, at least up to this point. I've got to focus on strategy, since that's how I will come out ahead.
My fight is with a germ that has wound its way around my larynx. For three days it has settled there, not moving, just a heavy weight, creating discomfort. "Do something", I dare it. It just sits there, not getting any worse, but not going away. My weapons are oranges, hot tea and vodka, taken throughout the course of a day in that order. All three cause relief from the discomfort, and even though it's only temporary, I'll take it. I've had times when I thought it was gone, but a swallow, or two later makes me realize it's still there, taunting me. I must keep warm, eat properly and stay hydrated. Those are my best defenses against this miserable scum. My neck feels like it's as thick as an Olympic wrestler's, but when I put my hands around it, it's the same size as always. A clever deception played out by the germ to trick me into thinking that it's got me. I'm not willing to wave the white flag, yet. Carefully, I will forge ahead and footstep, by footstep I will keep up my attempt to defend my throat from this funk. I know that one moment of false bravado will leave me open and vulnerable, so I'm playing it cool. I hesitate to ask it, "Is this all you've got?", because I know from experience that in just a few hours the funk can take my vocal cords hostage and spray my throat down with battery acid (or at least that's what it feels like). This is a true stand-off. I need to go all Dirty Harry on this thing, I know it, but part of me is just too yellow. Guess I need to ask myself one question, do I feel lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment