Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fall Gifts

Today I was riding a beautiful grey mare out through the fields that surround the seriously gorgeous property that we rent in Millbrook. What makes that special (besides the obvious)? The colors of the fields, sky, treeline, etc. were unbelievable! I wish I was more proficient with a camera, even of the cell phone variety, but alas, I'm not. These colors were of a palate that cannot be re-created by man, but I shall do my best to describe them. The meadow was a subdued golden hue of fading summer grasses, bittersweet vines had crimson berries on their wispy stalks, pale autumn leaves paved our path, blue jays and bright red cardinals darted thru the trees, causing the mare to snort and prance. The cobalt blue sky was the best sight of all, THE BEST. Only in autumn do we see a sky of this deep, unworldly color. We've all seen the bright blue skies of summer, but in autumn the sky of the late afternoon can turn a blue that makes a man/woman weep. I didn't weep, but instead I chose to take it in with as much appreciation and wonder that I could muster in my 41 yr. old somewhat compromised eyes. I even asked the mare to stop, pause, smell, ponder and after a few moments she pulled on the reins and we headed home. The moment was brief, but still palpable. Even on the eve of winter's grip, it's amazing to hack out through fields of gold and relish the magic of nature in the country. All my years of living in country surroundings could not prepare me to appreciate them at the level which I do now. Maybe it's the oncoming threat of winter that caused me to be so moved, but regardless, it was gift. And I'll cherish it, asking it to hold me over through the snow storms and icicles which will hold me hostage to the indoor ring. Until spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment