Thursday, February 10, 2011

Winter Possibilities...maybe...


This is what my animals have been doing these last few weeks. They all like to sleep in various positions around the house, some upside down like Remy, other sideways to accommodate their girth ala Big Zekie. I won't post all the pet pics, because I'm sure you're getting the idea without seeing the entire brood in their relaxing glory. It's the season to rest and reflect while the winter winds and snows blow around the frigid outdoors. I am unlucky in this respect because I cannot nap once I'm up in the morning. Jonathan can stumble down to the barn with me, feed the horses, then stumble back to the house and be back asleep in record breaking time. I'm pretty sure he believes he's dreamed most of the morning feedings. Better that way, for him and me, he's incredibly intolerant of the winter weather. However, while the rest of my household returns to a blissful slumber after the flurry of feeding pets, my mornings entail trolling around on the internet, visiting the refrigerator multiple times, reading a few pages, writing a few paragraphs, struggling with the Sunday crossword (a week long endeavor for dolts like me), paying bills, and attempting to organize my desk. Not necessarily in that order. It's my way of "keeping busy". And I'm sick of it!! I won't add bitter words about winter, because it's become a redundant theme for me and everyone else in the northeast and beyond. Suffice to say, it's a test of will to stay upbeat and positive this winter. But I'm doing it! Despite my recent dealings with another tooth gone bad, despite a root canal that proved to be a painful experience and recovery involving a new, powerful antibiotic to quell the pain in my jaw, despite a sore elbow that's been giving me crippling pain, I'm oddly content. Is it acceptance? Stupidity? Blind faith that this too shall pass? I can't answer these questions and maybe it's better that way. La la la la laaaa, I won't look at the weather reports, I won't think about all the clothes I must don to prevent frostbite to go outside, I won't think about my swollen face. I'm like a rat on a wheel that just keeps on running, no destination in mind, just motion and that is the tonic that fuels me. Keep on truckin', like the weirdly popular bumper sticker that came about in the 70's. Keep on, keeping on...and soon it will be green and warm. Hey, that rhymes! A new bumper sticker for the winter of 2011! I can spread mindless hope for all of those pining for spring! I'll manufacture these bumper stickers in neon colors and shamelessly sell them at trade shows. They'll be pasted on Chevy's and Honda's worldwide. I'll become a doyenne of catchy phrases and make my fortune! Or, more likely I'll just watch dumb Youtube videos and eat voluminous quantities of leftovers to pass the time till the snow melts. :) p.s. if I see MY bumper sticker on even one car, there will be a copyright infringement suit! Maybe...now what is that silly kitty doing with a laser pointer? Hold on, I'm getting some more mashed potatoes out of the fridge...

No comments:

Post a Comment